The 23rd Sziget Festival will be held on Óbuda Island from Monday, 10 August to Monday,17 August 2015. BKK provides higher frequencies on suburban railway line H5, which runs again on the full length of the route from 9 August and also on tram line 6, operates vehicles with bigger passenger capacity on night lines 901 and 918 and is launching special dedicated transport services. BKK recommends taking public transport to reach the Óbudai-sziget as fast as possible. Visitors in possession of a CityPASS wristband valid from 6 August will be able to use public transport services free-of-charge.
During this year’s, the 23rd Sziget Festival
- more frequent daytime services and also night services are provided on suburban railway H5,
- tram line 6 is running more frequently at night,
- higher capacity is provided on night buses 901 and 918,
- special dedicated boat services are launched,
- shuttle bus transfers are provided for CityPASS holders from the airport directly to Sziget.
BKK at the Sziget Festival
From Monday, 10 August 2015 until the last day, a BKK Customer Service Point will be operating at the venue of the Sziget Festival. An Ikarus 260 type bus converted for this event will be open every day from 10:00 to 18:00 near the main Sziget entrance by the K-híd (bridge).
In addition to being able to purchase different types of public transport tickets, passes and travelcards, you will be able to gather information on our products and services from our colleagues who speak different languages. Our representatives will also be ready to help you with advice on how to reach your destination by public transport in Budapest.
MOL Bubi at the Sziget Festival
You will be able to get familiar with the MOL Bubi public bike-sharing system and give it a go at the demo docking station.
TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORT TO THE SZIGET FESTIVAL ON ÓBUDA ISLAND
The venue of Sziget Festival is Óbuda Island located in district 3 in Budapest. Access is recommended by suburban railway line H5 from the "Filatorigát" station, alternatively by the dedicated boat service, by buses 9 and 86 from the "Óbuda, Bogdáni út" terminus or from the "Kaszásdűlő H" stop of buses 34, 106, 134 from the city centre, Kőbánya and South-Buda.
Suburban railway line H5 departs from Batthyány tér and can be easily accessed at the following connection points:
- Batthyány tér H stop of metro line M2 from the city centre
- the "Margit híd, budai hídfő H" stop of trams 4 and 6
- Batthyány tér M+H stop of replacement bus 17 as well as of bus 86 from South Buda
- from Liszt Ferenc International Airport: bus 200E to "Kőbánya-Kispest M" terminus, then metro line M3 to "Deák Ferenc tér M" station and connection to metro line M2 to "Batthyány tér M+H"
- from both Déli and Keleti pályaudvar train stations take metro line M2
- from the Árpád híd national bus terminal take tram line 1 to "Szentlélek tér H"
- from the Népliget national and international bus terminal, take metro line M3 to Deák Ferenc tér , transfer to M2 to Batthyány tér
- from the “Stadion” regional and national bus terminal take metro line M2 to Batthyány tér
In addition to the above, BKK launches special direct services to Óbudai-sziget: only the Sziget-Budapest CityPASS entitles festival-goers to use the shuttle bus transfer services to and from the airport as well as the special boat service to the island. The boat service can also be used without the CityPASS by buying tickets on board at the price of HUF 900.
HIGHER FREQUENCY AND MORE CAPACITY ON SOME OF OUR PUBLIC TRANSPORT LINES
In order to support increased passenger numbers during the Sziget Festival, we provide higher frequencies as well as more capacity on some of our services.
- Suburban railway line H5 (Szentendre): from 5:30 on Monday, 10 August to 19:53 on Monday, 17 August suburban railway line H5 runs more frequently with six-car trains. Also, night service is provided during the festival between Batthyány tér and Kaszásdűlő stations every 15 minutes.
- Tram 6 operates more frequently in the evenings and at night from late night on 10 August (Monday) to the early morning on 11 August (Tuesday) and from late night on 16 August (Sunday) to the early morning on 17 August (Monday), while from Monday night to Friday morning tram 6 runs every 10 minutes, instead of 15 minutes, on Friday and Saturday nights tram 6 runs every 7-8 minutes, instead of 10 minutes, and on Sunday night tram 6 runs every 10 minutes, instead of 15 minutes.
- Bus 200E is running more frequently at night between 8 and 12 August and the last bus to the city centre will depart at 0:36 instead of 0:21. Public transport lines departing from Liszt Ferenc International Airport Terminal 2 between 23:00 and 0:36 will run to Határ út M, instead of Kőbánya-Kispest M.
- Bus 226 running from Nyugati pályaudvar to Hajógyári sziget via Margaret Island is operating on a shortened route during before and after the Festival; on 9, 15 and 16 August between Nyugati pályaudvar M and Óbuda, Bogdáni út.
- Night buses 901 and 918: service will be provided by larger-capacity articulated buses from Óbuda to the Hungária ringroad from late night on Monday, 10 August to the early morning on Monday, 17 August.
- Night bus line 937: single buses run on this line and unchanged schedule will apply.
SPECIAL DEDICATED BOAT SERVICES
Between Monday, 10 August and Sunday, 16 August dedicated boat services connect Petőfi tér (Erzsébet híd) and Óbudai-sziget as well as Jászai Mari tér and Óbudai-sziget. CityPASS holders can use the boat service without extra charge; all others require a ticket on board for 900 HUF. Between 9 and 16 August 2015, the Óbuda-sziget stop is not served in either direction by boat line D13.
- Petőfi tér (Erzsébet híd): the 6th pier from the docking point of BKK public transport boat services to Vigadó tér
- Óbudai-sziget (SZIGET): docking point of BKK public transport boat services
- Batthyány tér M+H:: next pier towards Margit híd from the docking point of BKK public transport boat services
- Jászai Mari tér (Margit híd): the 4th pier from the docking point of BKK public transport boat services towards Árpád híd
Boat lines operate every 30 minutes between 16:00 and 21:00 on 10 (Monday) and 11 (Tuesday) August and between 14:00 and 1:00 from 12 (Wednesday) to 16 (Sunday) August.
SZIGET-AIRPORT SHUTTLE SERVICE
From Saturday, 8 (Saturday) August to 12 (Wednesday) August – during the days of “moving in” – and the first days free direct transfer service is provided from Terminal 2 of Liszt Ferenc International Airport to Sziget (Óbudai-sziget) only in the direction from the airport to town every 30 minutes between 8:45 and 00:30 at night exclusively for Budapest CityPASS holders. To pick up your CityPASS please stop by at BKK’ Customer Service Centre at the arrivals level of Terminal 2B.
On Monday 17 August – the day of “moving out” – free direct transfer service is provided from Sziget to Terminal 2 of Liszt Ferenc International Airport only in the direction to the airport every 10 minutes in the early hours, every 15 minutes in the morning and every 20 minutes later on between 3:00 in the morning and 14:00 exclusively for Budapest CityPASS holders.
The front-door only boarding rule applies on this service, which means that bus drivers check whether passengers are in possession of CityPASS wristbands before they board.
Further information about the transfer service is available here.
ROAD TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS IN THE AREA OF ÓBUDA ISLAND
For security reasons, please note that traffic restrictions will be in place again during the Sziget Festival in the area of Óbuda Island. From 20:00 on Friday, 7 August to 18:00 on Tuesday, 18 August the section between Mozaik utca and the Auchan connection road of Jégtörő utca will be closed, also the section between Mozaik utca 16. and Jégtörő utca will be closed. In the Mozaik utca–Jégtörő utca–Óbudai rakpart junction, the blinking yellow light of the traffic light will be in operation during the event.
During the same period no parking or stopping at the following locations:
- on both sides of Reményi Ede utca between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út
- on both sides of Benedek Elek utca between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út
- on both sides of Vajda János utca between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út
- on both sides of Mozaik utca between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út
- on both sides of Leányfalu utca between Reményi Ede utca and Mozaik utca
- on both sides of the Óbudai embankment between Mozaik utca and Szépvölgyi út
- on both sides of Jégtörő út between the Auchan access road and Mozaik utca
- on the Auchan connection road and the area between Szentendrei út and Jégtörő út to the east of the roundabout
As the Sziget ticket offices will be located in the parking area near the intersection of Jégtörő utca and K-híd leading to the island, it will be prohibited to stop there.
Only special permit holders will have car access to the area marked by Szentendrei út – Reményi Ede út – Jégtörő utca – Mozaik utca during the event.
At the request of the Budapest Police, car access will be prohibited to the section of the lower Buda embankment between Halász utca and the Mozaik utca junction – with the help of police cordons – every day from 18:00 to 22:00 between 9 (Sunday) and 17 (Monday) August. Car access to the closed section of the embankment is possible for direct traffic only based on the evaluation of the police.
The official partners of Sziget are City Taxi and Budapest Taxi. The taxi services will be monitored and controlled with special focus in the Sziget area.
For the event, two types of CITYPASS wristbands will be on sale:
- The orange 48-hour CityPASS ticket is provided with the ‘’Sziget Budapest CITYPASS” label, with a unique serial number, and next to this number (vertically with smaller size) with “BKK and BUDAPEST SPAS” labels. Days of validity are represented on a black background next to the labels and between the valid days there is a reference to the two-day validity and to the ticket to be used only in an undamaged condition.
- The green Sziget-Budapest CITYPASS pass is labelled with ‘’BKK’’, the “BUDAPEST SPAS” and the ‘’Sziget CITYPASS”, furthermore the validity period is indicated in English with yellow letters, discounts for public transport and for spas are indicated with black letters, the pass is provided with a unique serial number and there is a reference to the pass to be used only in an undamaged condition.
DURING THE VALIDITY PERIOD, CITYPASS WRISTBANDS ENTITLE YOU TO AN UNLIMITED NUMBER OF TRIPS ON PUBLIC TRANSPORT
- within the administrative boundaries of Budapest on bus, tram, trolleybus, metro, cogwheel railway, suburban railway and ferry services and on work days only on riverboat lines ordered by BKK Zrt.
- on the full length of the SZIGET–AIRPORT special transfer service. On these lines, only the SZIGET wristbands and upon arrival from the airport to the Sziget Festival, the Sziget wristband vouchers are valid.
- on the special dedicated boat services. Those who are not in possession of a Sziget wristband require a boat ticket on sale by the organiser of the Sziget Festival.
The CITYPASS wristband is valid for travel only if worn on the holder’s wrist in an undamaged condition. The same holds true for the 48-hour CityPASS ticket with the difference that it needs to be validated by punching. The Sziget wristband is to be fastened by the plastic clip. Unfastening the clip, which is always clearly visible, will render the wristband invalid for travel.
The Sziget-Budapest CITYPASS pass entitles you to travel from midnight on 6 August 2015 to midnight on 18 August 2015 with no need to validate it. To validate the 48-hour CityPASS for two consecutive days in August 2015, please punch your pass on the part designated for validation.
FURTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE WITH THE SZIGET CityPASS
Sziget CityPASS along with a bath coupon also ensures one-time free entry to any of Budapest’s many spas or swimming pools and 20% discount for all later visits with the valid CityPass wristband.
- 50% off the price of the museums in Budapest and in the countryside
- 20% discount for the The Center of Scientific Wonders
- 20% discount for the combined Giraffe Hop on Hop off sightseeing tour
- Akvárium Klub- Festival Terrace in the city centre
CityPasses are valid from midnight on Thursday, 6 August to midnight on Tuesday 18 August at the price of HUF 9,900.
The 48-hour CityPass is valid from the day of purchase to midnight of the following day at the price of HUF 3,600.
Wristband passes are on sale at BKK’s Customer Service points at the airport and at Sziget sales points as well.
Please note that the CityPASS is not valid for entry to the festival.
Have a good time at the Sziget Festival!