As in previous years, BKK Centre for Budapest Transport provides continuous public transport services during the holidays. On 24 December, on the day of Christmas Eve, after 15:00-16:00, regular daytime services will stop running and night buses will start operating. BKK asks you to plan your journey before using public transport services on Christmas Eve with the FUTÁR application (by the timetable search on BKK’s website or via the public transport mobile app) or by the currently applicable schedule. During public holidays, the weekend schedule/the public holiday timetable applies in public transport services, while between Christmas time and New Year’s Eve, the year-end schedule applies. On New Year’s Eve, substantially more frequent services and buses with higher capacity will ensure that everyone will be able to reach their destination in Budapest. Parking will be free-of-charge in the public car parks in Budapest from 20:00 on 23 December 2016 to 8:00 on 2 January 2017. We wish happy holidays to all of our customers!
22 and 23 December: the school holiday schedule applies
The winter holidays in primary and secondary schools start on 22 December 2016 (Thursday), thus on 22 (Thursday) and 23 (Friday) the public holiday schedule applies.
During late night on 23 (Friday) and early morning on 24 December (Saturday), the Friday schedule applies on night services.
24 December: night services from 16:00
In the morning and during daytime
On 24 December 2016 (Saturday) until approximately 16:00, Saturday schedules will apply. After the last daytime transport services departing at around 16:00, night transport services start operating in Budapest.
The departure times of the last scheduled metro trains on 24 December are:
- metro line M1
- the last train departs from Mexikói út at 15:29, from Deák Ferenc tér at 15:40 to Vörösmarty tér
- the last train departs from Vörösmarty tér at 15:44, from Deák Ferenc tér at 15:45 to Mexikói út.
- metro line M2
- the last train departs from Déli pályaudvar at 15:33, from Deák Ferenc tér at 15:39 to Örs vezér tere.
- the last train departs from the Örs vezér tere terminus at 15:24, from Deák Ferenc tér at 15:40 to Déli pályaudvar.
- replacement bus M2A
- the last bus departs from Deák Ferenc tér at 15:45 to Kossuth Lajos tér
- the last bus departs from Kossuth Lajos tér at 15:28 to Deák Ferenc tér
- metro line M3
- the last train departs from Kőbánya-Kispest at 15:28, from Kálvin tér at 15:42, from Deák Ferenc tér at 15:45 to Újpest-Központ.
- the last train departs from Újpest-Központ at 15:19, from Deák Ferenc tér at 15:34, from Kálvin tér at 15:37 to Kőbánya-Kispest.
- metro line M4
- the last train departs from Keleti pályaudvar at 15:43, from Kálvin tér at 15:48 to Kelenföld vasútállomás.
- the last train departs from Kelenföld vasútállomás at 15:28, from Kálvin tér at 15:37 to Keleti pályaudvar.
The last departures of the daytime public transport services around 15:00-16:00 are adjusted to the last metro departures. The bus-trolleybus-tram lines adjusted to the metro lines will wait for passengers of the last metro trains.
BKK asks you to plan your journey before using public transport services on Christmas Eve. Schedules applicable on 24 December of public transport services are available on BKK’s website. You can plan your trip also with BKK’s FUTÁR journey planner which plans the optimal route based on real-time information.
In the afternoon and evening
As in previous years, night transport services will be operating in Budapest after the last departures of daytime transport services around 15:00-16:00 with the regular transfer points.
Tram lines 4 and 6 will be running every 10 minutes between 16:00 and 20:00 and every 15 minutes after 20:00. Night services will run in the afternoon and evening with similar frequency as that of the night services, except for some busy lines: between 16:00 and 18:00 night buses 900, 907, 908, 909, 914, 914A, 916, 923, 931, 950, 956, 973, 979 and 979A will be running more frequently than scheduled in the timetable.
During the night
Late night on 24 December and in the early morning hours on 25 December, (from Saturday to Sunday) after roughly 23:00, the nightlines will operate according to the business day schedule. Departure times of a few nightlines will be changed or cancelled.
The breakdown of night-time schedules per line of public transport lines at late night on 24 December and in the early morning hours on 25 December can be viewed on the BKK homepage. You can also plan your trip with BKK FUTÁR trip planner.
25 December and 26: Sunday/public holiday schedule
On 25 December (Sunday) and 26 (Monday) please check the Sunday/holiday departures.
- Late night on 25 December and in the early morning hours on 26 December (from Sunday to Monday) the Saturday schedule applies
- Late night on 26 December and in the early morning hours on 27 December (from Monday to Tuesday) the workday schedule applies.
27, 28, 29 and 30 December: end-of-year schedule
On 27 December (Tuesday), 28 (Wednesday), 29 (Thursday) and 30 (Friday) the lines will operate according to the schedule during school holidays. On few lines – where it is indicated in the timetable – the end-of-year schedule will be valid.
The lines with end-of-year schedule are the following:
- metro: M1, M2, M2A, M3, M4
- suburban railway: H7
- tram: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 14, 17, 18, 24, 28, 28A, 37, 37A, 42, 47, 50, 51, 51A, 52, 56, 56A, 61, 62, 62A, 69
- trolley: 70, 72, 74, 74A, 75, 76, 77, 78, 80A, 81, 82, 83
- bus: 5, 7, 7E, 8E, 9, 11, 16, 16A, 20E, 21, 21A, 22, 22A, 23, 23E, 25, 30, 30A, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 40, 40B, 44, 45, 54, 55, 67, 68, 71, 84E, 85, 85E, 88, 89E, 94E, 95, 97E, 98, 98E, 99, 101B, 101E, 103, 105, 106, 109, 110, 111, 112, 117, 118, 120, 121, 122, 123, 123A, 124, 125, 130, 133E, 134, 136E, 137, 139, 140, 140A, 144, 151, 152, 155, 156, 159, 161, 161A, 169E, 170, 172, 172B, 173, 176E 178, 182, 184, 185, 194, 194B, 196, 196A, 197, 198, 212, 217, 217E, 220, 222, 225, 237, 239, 240, 244, 257, 272, 276E, 277, 294E, 297, 298
On 27, 28, 29 and 30 December, boat line D11 as well as bus lines 100, 142 and 261E will be out of service due the low occupancy usual on these days.
Boat line D2 will be out of service on 24, 25, 26, 31 December and on 1 January 2017.
Late night on 27 December (Tuesday) and in the early morning hours on 28 December (Wednesday), late night on 28 December (Wednesday) and in the early morning hours on 29 December (Thursday) and late night on 29 December (Thursday) and in the early morning hours on 30 December (Friday) the nightlines will be operating according to workday schedule. Late night on 30 December (Friday) and in the early morning hours on 31 December (Saturday) the Friday schedule apples.
31 December during the day: Saturday schedule
On 31 December (Saturday) during daytime the public transport lines will operate according to the Saturday schedule. Most of the lines that normally serve shopping centres and supermarkets will not do so, typically after 17:00-18:00. After daytime services finish, more frequent than usual night services will start operating.
New Year’s Eve: more frequent night services
On 31 December 2016, the following services run all night with a higher frequency and a larger capacity:
- trams 4 and 6 run every 3-4 minutes until 2:00 in the morning
- tram 60 (the cogwheel railway) departs from Városmajor to Széchenyi-hegy every 15 minutes between 0.15 and 4.15 and it departs from Széchenyi-hegy to Városmajor at 40 minutes past the hour every 60 minutes between 0:40 and 4:40
Other night bus lines – with a few exceptions – run all night more frequently or larger capacity, many with longer service hours.
- triple frequency on night bus lines 907, 908, 909, 914, 922, 931, 950-950A, 956, 973, 979-979A and 990
- double frequency on lines 914A, 923, 934 and 941
- longer operating hours on lines 916 and 940
- larger capacity is provided by articulated buses on night lines 901, 918 and 960
Transfer times between the night lines are ensured as usual, but only for the regular scheduled departures, not for the extra departures.
The 1st of January: Sunday schedule
On Sunday, 1 January 2017, the public holiday schedule applies.
From 2 January
On Monday, 2 January 2017, the school-holiday schedules while from 3 January 2017 onwards the regular school-term schedules will apply.